On September, 9 the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts (GMII) hosted the foundation stone laying ceremony of a depositary of museum pieces. The event was attended by the Chairman of the state Duma Sergei Naryshkin, first Deputy Minister of culture Vladimir Aristarkhov and the chief architect of Moscow Sergey Kuznetsov.
Since the opening of the Museum of fine arts in 1912, it did not have a storage space for collections. The construction of the depository will allow changing the principles of preservation, providing and controling the levels of temperature, light and biological modes.
The new location will increase twofold the square of the museum. About 700’000 museum objects, including paintings, graphics, sculpture, pieces of decorative and applied art and numismatics will be moved to the new location, which will be built by 2019. The part of the Depositary will be the open storage, which will make the pieces of art accessible to visitors.